Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Doomed Generation: Euro Edition (Vol. 1)

I arrived in Spain at 7 in the morning and went right away to see my exchange partner, Maria. I hadn´t seen her since her visit in September so our reunion consisted of a long embrace and the traditional double kiss. Her father picked us up at her high school and we went straight to her home: a large flat nestled 18 kiolmeters west of Madrid. I proceeded to "siesta", or nap, for 4 hours. I was awoken to find that many of my friends and their spainards were going to eat a late lunch in the town. I through on a sweatshirt and headed out in to the vast foreign wilderness, which was actually more of an urban jungle complete with fully functioning transit systems and an ATM on every corner. Blanca, Maria´s best friend, surpised me with a pack of ciggarettes the moment I arrived at the resteraunt. I was ecstatic. After pancakes and ice cream at Vips, we walked to a local pub for beers and bogs. We were a large group and many of the spainards seemed, and were, young, but we all managed to down a few Guinness half pints before returning home around 10.

The rest of the week, thus far, has been full of predictable tourist activities and stealthy cig-smoking to avoid disciplining from my psychotic spanish teacher, our chaperone. Tommorow is Friday, and we are headed to the Discoteca. I plan on getting plastered and dancing with countless equally intoxicated spanish girls. Maria just told me we will probably arrive home at 530 in the morning. Let´s just say Saturday will be dedicated soley to my Siesta. Undoubtedley, it will be worth it.


Will I get into the 7 floor discoteca without proper Identification?
Will I set the record for most ciggarettes chained smoked in a 2 week period?
Will I run out of money because of my substance abuse and nicotine addiction?

The answer to these, and other burning questions will be available soon.

No comments: